If you want to get involved in charitable giving at a local level, finding time to research where the greatest areas of need are, which are the right organisations to give to, and deciding how best to manage the governance and administration of grant-giving can be a real challenge.
One of the many strengths of Heart of Bucks is our ability to help personalise the method by which people give. We will help guide you through the options available and ensure your money is used effectively to make a real difference locally; reaching the organisations that can help those in need. With thousands of charities all doing great work in the county, giving through Heart of Bucks can enable you to support multiple causes and also to see the impact of your giving by funding specific projects with defined outcomes.
Our comprehensive application process ensures that the organisations applying for funding have passed our due diligence checks. Combined with our end of grant monitoring, we are confident that we can ensure your funding will make a lasting impact in the county.
There are a number of ways you can partner with Heart of Bucks for your charitable giving and make a real difference to local people (click on the ‘+’ to find out more)
Named funds are a great way for you to get directly involved in supporting your community, without the cost and administration of setting up your own charitable trust. Named funds may be created in memory of a loved one, to campaign for a cause close to your heart, or simply because you can and want to help.
Types of named funds:
- Endowment – Your funds will be invested securely, with the annual income being distributed in grants. This provides permanence to a donation and demonstrates a long-term commitment to your local community. Funds are invested with a view to growing the value of the fund over time.
- Flow-through – This type of fund is established by making an annual donation which is awarded as grants within that year, providing immediate support.
- Hybrid – A combination of endowment and flow-through, a hybrid fund is appealing for those donors who wish to grow an endowment over time but also wish to make an impact right away.
Benefits to you:
Where possible, we will claim Gift Aid on donations, enabling your donations to be maximised and tax-efficient. Periodically we also have access to match-funding programmes, which can provide an uplift on donations into endowment funds.
Above all, we take out the stress of giving by managing all the communication, publicity and applications, making it the pleasure it should be.
Our Friends help Heart of Bucks to continue carrying out essential work supporting Buckinghamshire charities and community groups by contributing towards our overhead costs.
As a registered charity ourselves, each contribution is essential and allows us to continue making a positive change in Buckinghamshire.
Our Friends pledge a yearly or monthly amount by standing order. For as little as £10 per month you can become a friend of Heart of Bucks.
Join our Friends today
A great way to leave a positive mark on the community long after you are gone, is by leaving a gift in your will. Heart of Bucks offers an ideal way to leave a legacy easily and tax-efficiently. If you prefer, we would be happy to work with your financial advisor to find the best solution for you.
Establishing a legacy fund:
By leaving lasting instructions, your gift will be used to support the causes you care about.
Legacy funds can be named after you, your family, or reflect something important to you. Alternatively, an in-memoriam fund can be a meaningful, yet easy way to remember a loved one and can be endowed for many generations to come.
As an accredited community foundation, legacies made to Heart of Bucks qualify as a charitable donation and are exempt from inheritance tax. This could help reduce the total amount of tax paid on your estate; anyone leaving at least 10% of their estate in their will to charity benefits from an effective reduction in inheritance tax from 40% to 36%.
Family Angels is a fund created to provide one-off financial support to help restore stability to families who are experiencing a short-term crisis.
Our Family Angels fund is generously supported by anonymous donors.
Who does it help?
The fund is targeted at Buckinghamshire-based families with dependent children, who are in an immediate crisis. The family must be actively engaging with a local support worker, for instance via statutory services such as social services or a housing department.
These support workers act as a ‘community advocate’ to recommend families who are in need of support. Families are not able to self-refer.
Making a difference
Below are real examples from families our Family Angels fund has supported:
- The Carter family were managing well until their son, Ben, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Mrs Carter had to give up part-time work to care for Ben and the family were struggling to afford the travel costs to hospital. The Family Angels fund was able to support the cost of travelling regularly to Oxford for vital chemotherapy.
- A new oven was provided to the Patel family who live on a very low income and had been unable to afford a replacement when their oven broke. Having previously been forced to rely on a borrowed microwave, the family reported that their new oven made it easier to cook healthy meals and to eat together as a family once again.
- Mrs Lee was able to purchase school books and a laptop so her eldest child could continue with his A-Level studies, after the family had fled from domestic abuse.
[names have been changed]
For more information on Family Angels please contact us.
MAKE A DONATION NOW
Heart of Bucks is a registered charity. Whether you would like to regularly donate a small amount to Heart of Bucks or give a larger one-off donation, your support will ensure that together we can continue to award funding to the organisations working with those most in-need across Buckinghamshire.
By cheque: Normal or CAF cheques made payable to “Heart of Bucks” can be sent to:
Heart of Bucks, Sunley House (4th floor), Oxford Road, Aylesbury HP19 8EZ